Colchester Town Hall

John Belcher designed the present Colchester Town Hall, after taking part in a competition in 1897. Building work began in 1898 and the building was opened by the Earl of Rosebery in May 1902.
The town hall is a statement of civic pride, with statues and ornamentation all reflecting the Victorian view of Colchester’s long history. The tower of the town hall is known as the Victoria Tower, and was paid for by the leading Colchester Victorian industrialist James Paxman. At the top of the tower is the Patron Saint of Colchester, St. Helena.